Wednesday, August 4, 2010

dangers and desires, in the dark

Some conversations in the middle of a lonely night bring about more revelations than hours of chatting in the sunlight. There is something about the sinuous embrace of darkness which makes thoughts easier to share. There is an illusion of safety which allows hidden feelings to bubble up, over and out. No wonder, moon-lit nights are preferred for stealth and serenades alike!

I believe that we all are alike in our desires, deep down. Unless you are a misanthrope, we desire to meet people who are similar to us, emotionally. Oh, there is a complementary 'opposites attract' theory also. As I see it, these opposites stem from the same source, and therein lies the similarity.

'Its a dangerous thing to know someone like you (or me) is out there.'

This remark of a friend made me think how vulnerable we are to this innermost desire of finding people who 'connect' with us. I hope you are lucky enough to find such people, may they be friends, family, a teacher, or a random stranger on a train; and that you are smart enough to realize it. The bumps on the road ahead will be less bumpy thanks to all the extra support you have under your tush!

Along with the charms of such cozy links, come the dangers of being open and vulnerable to another person. It ain't easy to let go of the inhibitions, and once I let go, I expect the same from the other person. An inability to do so, is danger #1. The thought of rejection, as if the other person doesn't care, is danger #2. The painful part is, that rejections bring back all the clamps and inhibitions, multiplied. That after this cycle, I will withdraw even more into my emotional shell, is danger #3. These people are in the trusted circle, so any backlash in unexpected. This unseen danger, is my danger #4.

Now why am I gushing on about this?

I have been blessed as at each stage of my life, I have found people who I could share my innermost feelings with! Oh sure, this has backfired a couple of times, leaving painful scars. Time goes on, scars heal. New places, new people, new friends meet. Old friends call, chat and email. If you are lucky (like me!), these intrinsic connections remain.

Live, love, laugh; and life goes on!

10 comments:

  1. 'Once bitten twice shy' helps... it keeps you on guard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shyan, my theory is to try and not be shy the second time around. You never know what you may miss out on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Brijender: Waah-waaah, sher khub farmaya aapne!
    Ride, get flung off, lick your wounds and find some other bull (metamorphic!) to try your luck with! The only spoiler is the fact that it is much harder to try again than it seems to be. Sure it makes you stronger eventually, but it can be an emotionally draining experience to undergo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn it, I knew it was something else, but since "Irshaad" eluded me, waah-waah had to do!
    I won't ever get convinced about Delhi, but do read my post about Mumbai!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did I even mention Delhi in the post? Its just that Delhi-ites are so insecure, that they like to think (wish!) that Delhi can be a challenge to Mumbai!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, then what can I say: Mumbai was, and will always be first, in more ways than one! There is not a challenge, there is just a clear winner!

    ReplyDelete