Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Let it be!

Why write?

a) It takes me to my happy place.
b) It makes me focus on the writing and not other random thoughts.
c) There is nothing left on TV to see.
d) All of the above.

Any guesses on which option I would choose as my answer tonight? 

The only hurdle being, that my brain refused to focus. 

So I went poking around for some inspiration. Found it in my chat history logs. A few days ago, I was talking to a friend and telling her to define "boundaries" between the things she can help, and the things she cannot. In the true spirit of '(don't) practice what you preach,' I was doing exactly what I grandly advised her not to.

While writing this, I am making an attempt to internalize my own advice, trying to weigh if the fight is worth the person, or am I just losing myself, to myself, in the battle? Answer (and the same as before) - A fight against indifference is not worth my time. Thank you brain, for at least being consistent!

Reflection is sometimes good for the soul. Closure definitely is. And so, about a year after I originally posted the Serenity Prayer, I look back and read it with renewed interest. 

"God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.


Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as He did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next."


In a year, so much changes, yet so little actually changes.
Let it go. Let it be.


4 comments:

  1. Been pondering about what you wrote since I first read it but I still believe that it is difficult to practice what you've said not because of anything but because it is confusing to draw the line...

    Boundaries are important but sometimes confusing. Certain things you do because you feel that you have the right to do whilst eventually you are told that you are intruding; given if you didn't do those things you could be blamed for not caring enough. You could also be blamed for not rescuing the other person given that you knew the tribulations they were facing and perhaps you were the only person who could stand by and if not reduce, try to share the experience with them.

    Unfortunately if you do offer such madness, often it is misconstrued as weakness or even the lack of self respect. The exact reason why the other person begins to think you aren't exactly the independent and egotistical person they first loved you to be; forgetting that people grow, people learn to love, people learn to give, people learn to care for someone more than they do for themselves..... even if transiently so.....

    Therefore in my opinion perhaps it is better to not love because then you save yourself the rise only to witness a neighboring fall that perhaps one does when such a thing happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is better to have loved and lost for those writing novels not us mere mortals, for us each blow is the penultimate one therefore we never know when to give in...or give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with most of what Richi wrote. I have to disagree on the conclusion. Why not Love? We always lose people over the course of time. But you win some as well. As long as we have that in our mind, you learn to move on in life.... Alternatively, you can always remain the egoistical person and you will still be left...

    @Dilshad- take your own advise- if you don't put yourself out there, how will you experience life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete