Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mine. Part II.

And so, the girl keeps writing. College was an exciting time, so much to do, so much to see, so many people to meet. Oh, if none of this makes sense, do read Mine. first. Don't hold me to a strict timeline though!

When the girl came back to the big city for college, the first classmate she met was pouring over the entrance test results, wondering if he would get what he wanted. Couple of months later, he thought the girl looked super pretty in a saree. The shortest relationship ensued. Through the ups and downs, they remain friends and tell each other the most random stuff. Weird, but feels quite okay. Looking back, I am unsure if the guy ever got exactly what he wanted/envisioned. Life has a way of throwing him very interesting punches, leaving us with a repertoire of amazing stories! Manic Monday. Terrible Tuesday. Whacky Wednesday. Terrific(?) Thursday. Fantastic Friday.

It was also in college that the girl met the sweetest person she knows. Unflappable. Looks like a wrestler, is a marshmallow. Such patience this man has, to put up with what is now 6 years of ribbing by a set of friends who have all been generously sprinkled by the devil's dust. He is one of those people who will always be blessed, for he will have a child-like innocence with him forever.

While the girl was powering through college, she felt a need to explore an alternate world-view, partially because a close friend was immersed in it and the girl was bored and curious (in equal parts). So she went and did a short course with this international organization that claimed to change her and the way she saw the world. Yoga, social work and the lectures about living a good life were fine and dandy, but then horror of horrors! They wanted the girl to shirk her love for meat and alcohol. In desperation, she looked around for support. Found a pair of twinkling eyes. They shared a smirk, a "someone save us from these holier-than-thou people" look. Scooted closer and plotted to go out for a drink immediately after. So opened a world of hanging around in the heart of Mumbai and learning to understand Marathi. Going to small hole-in-the-wall places to eat fish(y) delicacies. Khooni paanje. Kala khatta golas. Conversations about Physics and Biology. An unforgettable holiday. Fights. Blame game. Constant pestering. Volatile emails. More pestering. A full circle, back to a tenuously held together friendship.

Once you start thinking about the people that have touched your life deeply, you realize that there are many more to go. And so, the girl will follow a friend's advice: "Today was a fantastic day, tomorrow will be better, if you like to write, don’t hesitate, if you like to draw don’t wait, whatever it is that makes you happy pursue it today for tomorrow today shall be a memory, a fading memory lest you capture it in your own special way…."

18 comments:

  1. My teeth pressed against my index finger as I tried to mask a huge grin from my co-workers, for only a select few things could instill this big huge smile that I just couldn’t control. I have only once in my life had a kala khatta gola, that too hiding from potential relatives who had a negligible chance of seeing me, at a place I shouldn’t be; it is indeed a beautiful life! The fish(y) delicacies have made my mouth water, can’t wait to have lunch by a roadside shack! I wana hug the marshmallow wrestler and be a quiet counterpart in the living-learning mischief’s! There are so many things that will lift you up but nothing can work the magic like a good compliment *blushes*

    I wish some of the people you’ve mentioned read what you’ve written, I’d love to hear their exclamations, shouts, remarks; note their smiles and their grins!

    It would be quite an exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should have put a NSFW label :P

    Sach mein, roadside/dhaba khana has a flavor of its own. mmm.... I am glad that these words bring you into my world. I am sure the blushing just made you look as cute as the girl in Sadiya's sketch :)

    PS: Is there a subtle way of getting thickheaded men to read this? Or maybe it is better if they don't. It will be a pain to deal with the inevitable ego-inflation and potentially murderous looks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's more to say about this but just HAD to share this: http://sidrasayeed.blogspot.com/2011/09/d-s-r.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wud hav been sohooo terribly annoyed wid myself if i hadn cum in to read dis post.

    wowwiee!
    how bindaas is dat to b able to put down sumthin in such a frank n clear cut fashion. i wud NEVR b able to do it.
    part of d reason lies in stil not havin made much sens to analyse so wel n d odr part being, d parties of d followin parts wud inevitably 'accidentally' read it cos my luck is jus terribl dat way!

    ALL of ur little episodes sound adorable n deres jus sum element dat made it so fun to read wats real.
    d unfortunate thing tho, is i thot one character at least wud outshadow all d odrs. dat dint happen. d last one did, bt not entirely. d tale remains incomplete n me hopes its nt d end :(((

    an entertainin read n yes, i do wonder now wat u'd luk like in a saree :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richi <3 <3 <3!

    Sadiya, glad you saved yourself the annoyance :) I don't think I want anyone of these guys to outshine anyone else. No (more) alphas males wanted here!

    And since you wondered, you now have the answer :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trips down the memory lane and long unseen pictures to come up with version 1 and version 2:

    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/v3nvToKeOx1UjqkLYuyJ4SvsoYw3VK0u8sXsWk-2LgM?feat=directlink

    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iyQFxU2unrHGt44dWCV-uivsoYw3VK0u8sXsWk-2LgM?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are the "!!!" for, Mr. Singh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahem- woah 2010!!...sacling d progress...if he wer to c dis, interestin aside it wud mk fr a knockout punch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy woww! u look gorgeous. I actually love both the looks, bob and the long flowing tassels...
    Wish had seen this earlier would have tried to marofy a chance with you ;)

    Off topic, did you know trips to the carribean are dirt cheap, if you're ever up for it, you know who to message. Off topic Or may be not ;)

    Took down my blog because didn't want my sentiments to flood google's servers. I am an ardent follower so we will definitely be speaking here :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reaction stream - Smiling, now smiling with an evil grin, and then pooof! Sad face. Quick check. The blog is indeed down. Sad face continues.

    ---

    In other news, the "long" tassles are just shoulder length, but still, thanku thanku ji.

    Also, stop the mind-reading lady! The Caribbean has been on my mind for a while. Actually, I think I think more about holidaying than any other activity! Maybe we can stare at abstract art together ;)

    Now, please get your blog back up. Pretty please. My miss my daily dose of reading and witty (or not) repartee. I promise not to flirt also *sad puppy face*.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My miss my daily dose? This what sadness does to me. I miss my daily dose......*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I'd love to stare at abstract art together, perhaps a live art show might interest you as well? ;)

    A healthy does of flirting keeps the spirits gay and the doctor at bay!

    reading 'Mine PartIII' now and might I add that your inspiration is rather cheeky! More thoughts, on the post itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, and yes! Its the company that makes the show, any show, sparkle!

    Flirting - right now, it seems to keep the flirtee (is that a word?) at bay! In virtual and real life. Shucks!

    Cheeky, eh? Do explain. I promise it will be fun to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know if flirtee is a word but for our convenience we will sacrifice the sanctity of the English language ;)

    flirtee = 'inspiration for post' or have I gotten that incorrect? Tell me I haven't! it'll be much to the flirtee's delight, don't you think? ;)

    By indulging in this flirtatious discussion I think I'm bordering promiscuity, if you know what I mean!

    muaaah haaa haaa haaa! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. The question is: Why are the flirtee(s) running away? Lol. And yes, you got it right, I am just unsure about the delight part! ;)

    Promiscuity-blah blah. More the merrier, ain't it! ;)

    PS: Laughing too hard to think of more witty-esque things to say!

    ReplyDelete