Friday, September 23, 2011

Mine. Part III.

After doing all the keeda-kaand she could in the Motherland, the girl decides its time to shift countries. Welcome to Amreeka, ji. No more Old Monk and Kingfisher. Sad. Welcome to the land of JD and microbreweries. Yum. Always interesting to move so far away from home. The things you took for granted, no longer are. Relationships need more work. Finding new friends, harder than finding housing on Craigslist. But, we have established that the girl is awesome, and hence minimally troubled. What helped?

Stories and rumors and hope - make life so much more interesting and keep the girl going. Maybe they were about the guy with the green car, or the one with the curly hair, or the workaholic. The green car boy - lost cause; Mr. curly hair - still cute. Now, the workaholic. Heart-beat skip causer. Random sweet and sensible words-sayer. Spontaneously funny. The root cause that made the girl look back and remember all the crazy men she knows. Also unattainable, at last check. Oh well, that's the way the girl rolls (not). 

Oh, and how can she forget "shared property" or the "open relationship"? If the girl's life was a twitter feed, shared property would be #FAIL. The open relationship on the other hand, would be trending very well! One facebook status change, made on a dare was all it took. That, and the fact that the girl and the bestie gained great laughter from fanning flames. Equally evil, those two.

When the girl looks back at the last two years, she realizes she doesn't know when the bestie became the bestie! Knowing the girl, it probably helped that he cooked. Very well. Water - the girl loves to be near it, the bestie loves to jump in. The walks. The drives. San Diego. Malbec. Surprise(s)! Car-Bar-Net. Maybe the bed they shared, or the friends. Ink. Cards. Dancing. "Wild". San Fran. Long phone calls. Silence. Safety at 30. Red. The times when they thought, if only they were not so similar. The times when they are forever grateful for those similarities! Acceptance. Understanding. Most importantly, love.

Man o' man, by no means the girl thinks that this is a comprehensive list! The girl hasn't even mentioned the distant cousin she was linked with, and the distant cousin who wanted to marry her. Hey, don't blame the girl, the bawas are a small community! The sandwich-wala, who was the most important person around for 2.5 years. The girl is a slave to her stomach, also to be blamed on the bawa genes. The internet friend-of-a-friend, turned good friend, who the girl tried to hook-up with her BFF. They shared a love for slightly wonky late night conversations, peppered with references to 'mayo' and 'hunny'. The supposed asshole, who has never been but super nice to the girl (maybe it's her charm!). He was even nice enough (and drunk enough) to offer her an ill-fated piggyback ride. What fun! Oh, and the Army captain she met on the train? The girl had lunch with him on her visit home, played the perfect smart young woman, and there started another round of rumors. Fun fun fun. 

Who else? The girl also met a very open-hearted, ever smiling, amazingly humble person. The closest to a wise elder brother. Did she mention the other bawa guy who was her senior, and her nephew at the same time? Who fleeced the girl to get free tel-maalish? Also, the spiky haired guy on her team for the last one year. Brave man that one, to be the only guy in a 5 person (aka crazy women) team, but still afraid of insects. And the neighbor, alternating between being hot and being a slob. His cat, who ruled the girl's house for the past two years. Sidenote - If the cat was a human, it would have become the despotic ruler of the Earth-wide Kingdom of Godot. Scary stuff, that.

So the girl concludes, she is blessed. She looks around, and sees never-ending sources of inspiration, strength and love (and food and alcohol). Most of whom are okay when they see the girl break out into the trouble-creating evil grin. Almost all of them celebrate(d) the fact that the girl isn't a helpless maiden. And almost all of them are slightly scared of the girl's daddy dearest, because my Daddy strongest!

13 comments:

  1. hehe so its settled den dat d girl is awesum n d need to comment further shudn arise.
    howeverrrrrr
    army captain!!!
    wowwwieeeeee!

    d only army folks i hav everrr cn r on tv, so i often wonder wat dey mus b like or wat dey wud talk abt. mayb guns or wars or bullets dey took or sum mastermind plans made.
    dat dey cud take a grl out sumhow nevr crossed my mind :o
    mks me think of 'scent of a woman' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dilshad where art thou? Now I miss you! Stories and rumors and hope - make life so much more interesting!!! Don’t disappear on me!

    One thing that I really liked as I read this is the sheer honesty of your write-up, I can talk about how I find almost all the anecdotes interesting in one way or another but I have to say that might have something to do with the fact that I will be biased towards you <3

    And the last paragraph does sum it all up while the last phrase is the bestest! my Daddy strongest!

    PS: This post was the inspiration for me to grab a sticky note and jot down the x-men in my life, I think u’ve inspired me to write a little something myself ;)

    PPS: This is why I know we’d have a fantastic time in the Carribean ;) “the fact that the girl isn't a helpless maiden” muaaah haaa haaa haaaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. @deeps - Welcome, and hopefully, welcome back!

    @Sadiya - Yes Army captain! Did I mention that I got to see the inside of a real, working tank with him? \m/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Richi - The disappearing act was my badla! jk.
    I am not disappearing anytime soon. Though I will run off to see some spectacular waterfalls very near to where you stay in a week or so! Glad the drama made you smile. Your bias makes me go all "awwww..." <3

    PS: Hope the sticky note pops up in the virtual world, and is accessible :P. Can't wait to read it!

    PPS: Caribbean. The idea is now stuck firmly in my head. Beach. Sun. Sand. Abstract art. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo tell me when ur coming I shall come see ya, I ain't kidding :D it'll be a bit weird to begin with, may be, what say you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dillu-ka-badla, you think Yash Raj will produce it? I swear I'll write it too!

    And the sticky note promises to be fun, perhaps my debut for the nth time into the world of blogging! But I need significant ammunition to deter any thoughts that'll convince me from giving up mid-way; as you know, it might turn into a sticky affair ;)

    btw was running late in the morning but had to put the possible meeting of the blabber tycoons out there!

    PS: My email is firstnamelastname@gmail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yash Raj will lick it up. With your flair for writing and my flair for drama - we are unstoppable! Plus, whats a YR movie without sticky affairs?

    *whispers* - Let me know what kind of ammunition you need. I will hook you up with my supplier. Hehe.

    Will send you an email in bit. Excitement levels rising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya there's this fantastic discussion on Saidya's blog about a book review, check it out!

    http://sidrasayeed.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-take-on-ineligible-bachelors-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. I did not know that one person offering their opinion on someone work could raise such huublahoo!

    Oh, and look who is back! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Btw, hajmola, Lays magic masala, Frooti, gulab jamun, guji, besan ke laddu, imli and bhel?

    That is one crazy desire for random, childhood, old school food. Makes me hungry even after a very nice dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last she check my love, last she check!
    PS: your neighbour was hot in his hey days!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now now, don't poke at the raw spot! Or do you have any info I can use? Spill. Neighbor was in his hot phase when I saw him a month ago too :)

    ReplyDelete